Amar Dada 💓


It is just another Monday morning of 1996 in the city of Silchar, Assam. 


The clock strikes 8! My brother and I have to rush to school. We don't want to be late again for our morning devotional class.


Before leaving the house, I take one last look at my little sister and then myself in the mirror... Brushing against my school badge, "Omnia Vincit Amor". I wonder how Maa manages to make us look like human beings every morning.



"Riki!!! Riki!.... aaarey dhaatt te Riki... taratari aaay naa, abaaar tor jonno deri hobe" (Riki, we will get late today as well because of you!)

My brother yells at me while he hurriedly walks out of the house.


As we step out, our voices chorus: 

'Maaaaaaaaaaa, aschii; Babu aschiii...!!!' (Bye Maa, Bye Baba!)


I run after him to match his stride.


Somehow, the weight of the big school bag on my shoulders always seemed to slow me down. Or maybe it was my tiny legs! I wonder!!

Just as I was adjusting my school bag...

'Ahhh, Aahh Dada, Dadaaaaaaaaa...', I scream in fear as a big cow approaches me. 

Dada grabs my tiny hands in his as we run away from the monstrous-looking creature.


After walking a few steps ahead, I get distracted with the sound of prayer bells, the smell of freshly baked cookies from the roadside bakery, horns of vehicles, and other kids rushing for their schools.

All those times, Dada would carefully guide me saving me from stepping into puddles and the wrath of our discipline teachers.


On our way to school, passing through the Assam Rifles Transit Camp with greeneries, big trees, and clean broad shaded streets were the favorite part of our everyday walk. They had a message on one of their walls which read as:

'Shoot with camera, not gun,' with the visual of a posing tiger- something we would never miss to observe. 




After entering our school gate, Dada would tell this to me every day, 'Kaaror shathe fight korish naa, kichu hole amake bolish.' (Don't fight with anyone, if anything happens; come to me).


These words from my brother were the reason for my bold and fearless attitude in school. I used to tell everyone, 'Hey, don't mess with me; my brother will kill you, he is in 3rd standard.' 😠😋😁

This warning worked wonders; in most cases. My classmates and peers seemed scared of my brother.


But call it fate or my attitude, I would end up involving in unnecessary arguments, fights, and disputes. 


All those times and even to this day, my brother always comes to my rescue... He has genuinely been my 'Hulk.'!!! 😂 Except for a few times when we would fight like cats over the TV remote, a piece of chocolate, food, or just practice sessions of WWE. 😄


What are your most memorable times with your siblings?

Share them in comments with me. 😊😊





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts