My journey of learning to speak Basic Konkani – chapter 1

I hope you all will resonate with the same feeling when I say that no matter how much we converse in different languages, speaking in one’s native has a unique essence. That was my sole motivation to learn Mangalorean Konkani, and I thought of giving it a try. 😊

While trying to learn Konkani, I could not find a relevant language guide(s) available on the internet or offline stores. We did take several trips to the Sapna Book Houses, Blossoms, Bookworm, and other bookstores throughout Bengaluru, but all in vain. It was the same case even with local book shops in Mangaluru. Goan Konkani versions are available, though. That is when I decided to share my learnings when I develop a fair grasp of the language.

Learning to speak Konkani has been an exciting journey so far. Having a supportive family helped me pick up this new language. So, all thanks to my Bammoon, Amma (mother-in-law), and Aanu (father-in-law). 😊

If you are someone from the Konkan coast or if you are already conversant with Marathi, it will be comparatively easier to pick up the language. 

Well, my case was different. 
I am a Bengali who was born and brought up in Eastern India; I had no acquaintances with the language, whatsoever. But that has also been the reason for many of our laughter sessions at home, all thanks to my peculiar accent, pronunciation, and inappropriate usage of words. 😂😂



Konkani is a beautiful language but confusing at times, maybe because there are words similar-sounding to Bengali, but with totally different meanings. 

Today, I am going to share three such common words in the two languages.

1. Pishi
In Bengali means ‘Aunt’/ same as Bua in Hindi
In Konkani, Pishi means ‘mad.’
 
2. Pyaaj
In Bengali means ‘onion’/ same as pyaaz in Hindi
In Konkani, pyaaj is ‘a preparation of rice.’
 
3. Aami
In Bengali means ‘me’/ same as ‘main’ in Hindi
In Konkani, aami means ‘we.’
 
I will continue to share such exciting insights in my next blog. Please stay tuned.
I would love to hear your findings while learning a new language.
 
And as always, your comments and queries are most welcome.😊😊

Comments

Popular Posts